Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tantalize Me

I have to admit, I'm becoming an Ocean State Job Lots fan. Even the food. Now, you might think, discounted job lot food? What horrible stuff would there be in an aftermarket food retailer's shelves?

I was in there today, and they had caviar. Caviar. The same brand as at the best supermarkets. And a lot of natural foods, rough organic oatmeals that no one can afford in the health food store, marked down to a buck; likewise for the granolas, nuts, dried cherries and figs.

They also have overstock bread from a local bakery. Fresh bolos levedos, and how can you not like bolos levedos?

Since October, I've been keeping track of where the local stores are in all the neighboring towns. Today I got some buns, some guava puree that was delicious, biscotti, dried mission figs, organic fair-traded sodas, a couple cans of lobster bisque and all for eleven dollars; it would have been twice as much, or more, at a supermarket.

No comments: