Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Little persons

I was visiting friends with children last night. Small children. As in two feet tall and standing and wailing like it was the end of the universe, tears streaming down their faces, and just into a full howling shriek,—forever.

Not that it lasted that long.

At one quiet moment though, I was in the kitchen/family room, parents off in different areas of the house. I was sitting and enjoying the quiet, and I realized that one little person was on the kitchen table, foraging for food, another was over by the couch, also foraging for food. One cat was over in another corner, probably doing the same, and cat number two was also picking around, also foraging.

And it suddenly occurred to me that, essentially, this was no different than a forest floor, with raccoons and squirrels, idly picking around for an occasional nut, foraging for food.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't the title "little person" reserved for midgets? I have a strange image of raccoons, cats and midgets foraging around a house for food in my head now.... Anyway, please check TNE email when you get a chance, Kylin...us. Thank you.