Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Questions for the Editor

> I know your stance on Taco Bell (I think), but what is your
> take on KFC? Specifically, their wraps? The chicken can be
> a bit heavy, but I saw a commercial for some wraps that
> look delicious.


McDonald's now sells salads.

Someone recently said that going to McDonald's for a salad is like going to a crackhouse for vitamins.

Somehow, KFC selling wraps is the same thing. If you're not going there for the big bucket of greasy chicken, why are you going there? I just don't see the buying wraps idea as prudent. ---If you're going to some restaurant for the experience and you choose $10 wraps becuase you're at a restaurant with friends and it's the experience, fine. But driving to a place for a $5 wrap sandwich that you can make at home for, what, a buck? And you're getting the restaurant experience of a KFC?

I actually don't mind the big bucket of greasy chicken. I don't get it a lot because I spend the rest of the day sliding out of chairs and I spend the next three days all shiny. But it's something I can't make myself. And it's cheap. I remember hanging one summer with some Middletown kids at the little half-park down by Home and Ravine Avenue. One worked for KFC and would bring a huge hefty bag of the leftover end of the day chicken--like 20 pounds of it--and we would all eat
it. Yum.

And I also spent a lot of time in the company of a woman who had a deep and restless craving for it. It was part spiritual and part unreal, but she would gorge on KFC on a regular basis. It was a woman thing.

I don't mind the Taco Bell food, and get it regularly. Beef and Chicken grilled stuffed burritos. They're great. (Not deep fried, not baked in a huge wad of polyunsaturated synthetic polymer cheese-food product.) But I don't eat it there, cramped into an over air-conditioned plastic booth caked with refried beans someone has sneezed onto the wall. Zitty-faced zombie high school kids on both sides of the counter. Nope. The take-out window is absolutely necessary.

I found an excellent and cheap fish shop in Meriden. Now that's food.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We should have a taste-test: KFC's chicken wraps against The Editor's chicken wraps. I would even factor in any money The Editor claims to save by making them at home into the decision, although I doubt he could make then for cheaper than KFC when labor is factored in.

Kylinus Troianus said...

Do we factor in a) freshness, and b) chemical additives?

Unknown said...

Unless The Editor raises the chickens himself, I think we are stuck with chemical additives.

On another note, I had some Kentucky Fried Chicken fried chicken on Derby Day, and was pleasently surprised.